Twin over Double Solid Wood Bunk Bed in Brown Finish
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
Comments about Walker Edison Twin over Double Solid Wood Bunk Bed in Brown Finish:
I researched, looked at, pondered, agonized about a decent twin over full bunk bed that could handle my daughter and myself in a small space. I found this particular bed and immediately liked the open "ranch" style vs the multiple bars/slats of the "mission" style. I looked at, pondered and agonized some more due to horrible reviews (mostly all regarding horrendous customer service from the manufacturer)and after reading other reviews for other beds (again almost all regarding horrendous customer service from the manufacturer)I decided to bite the bullet and purchase this one. Here are my thoughts/experiences:
1. I had no problem with the shipping and there were no issues with any of the pieces such as improper drilling, wrong size, etc.
2. The quality of the material is outstanding! This bed is made from real wood and it is very solid but surpisingly not heavy. All the screws and hardware are metal so the bed is sturdy. I chose the brown/walnut finish (much to my daughter's disappointment), and it is beautiful. It is a nice medium brown that does not hide the grain and a classic match to most walnut finishes I have seen. I put it on furniture casters for ease of movement anyway so that I can pull it away from the wall when necessary to make it easier to change the bedding.
3. The instructions are very clear and easy to follow. My dad (who is not particularly mechanically-inclined) started doing the simple stuff to prep the bed before actually setting it up--assembling the head/footbaords, ladder, etc. (of course my daughter had to "supervise"). He probably spent a grand total of 5-6 hours to do it all over about three days. You will need at least two people to install the top bunk on the frame, but it is lightweight and easy to do. I would recommend you do not fully assemble the ladder--a deviation from the instructions. We learned it is much easier to install the lower piece, put your mattress in and then afix the rest of the ladder to the frame. It beats trying to move a heavy full-size mattress around a fixed ladder! The pieces of the bed are clearly marked so you can easily match which board goes where when advised to. The kit comes with an allen-wrench tool but dad recommends you use a drill with the appropriate bit if possible. So much faster!
4. Other reviews noted the full-size slats were not wide enough on the frame. They must have fixed this problem because mine fit perfectly fine on both the twin and full-size beds. I like the fact that the slats are actually screwed down to the frame so there's no chance of slipping. To be cautious, I did put plywood boards over both sets of slats to spread the weight and pressure over a wider surface. The manufacturer specs say this bed will support up to at least 250 lbs on both the top and bottom so the board helps make sure my mattress and weight will not break my bed (lol!).
5. The ladder IS interchangeable. Another "major" site that specializes in selling bunk beds advised me the ladder will only go on one side but the instructions include how to put it on either side. I was thrilled because I needed the ladder to go on the opposite end of where it is always pictured. It also has an L-bracket you cannot see in the photos that futher attaches it to the bed frame so I have no doubts whatsoever of the security of the ladder and my monkey-child going up and down it.
Once completely set up, this is a very solid and sturdy bed. The lines are simple and pleasing. There is room between the bunks for an adult to manuever comfortably--not sit up completely--but when laying on my back I can extend my arm almost fully before touching the top bunk. That's probably my fault because I do have a pillow-top mattress and it has a taller profile. I did get a small clip-on lamp to provide extra light since it is too dark under there to read.
Thank you for taking the time to read my long and rambling review. In one simple sentence, I really like my bed.